The field of assisted reproduction law is difficult to navigate and choosing the right ART attorney will take time and research. As you interview each candidate, ask these relevant questions. Keep records of each program’s answers to help you make your final decision.
Start your search by checking out BYF’s directory of ART attorneys.
- How long have you worked in assisted reproduction law?
- How many ART cases do you handle a year? What percentage of your practice is devoted to ART?
- Where are you licensed to practice assisted reproduction law?
- What is the average cost of the cases you’ve handled?
- Do you bill by the hour or charge a flat fee?
- Do you require a retainer fee? If so, how much? What happens to the retainer if a cycle does not result in a live birth?
- Will you help me find an egg donor, sperm donor, embryo donor, or gestational carrier? If not, how do we do that?
- What happens if the egg donor or carrier doesn’t have insurance (or her insurance doesn’t cover ART)?
- Will you manage payments to the egg donor, carrier, and others?
- If we live in a different state from the gestational carrier, which state’s laws apply?
- What will be covered in the contract you draw up?
- Do you negotiate ongoing or future contact with the donor or carrier?
- May I speak with a few current or past clients?